During the life of students we enjoy, we suffer, we cry, we learn and even we fight with the professors by a tenth that we are missing to pass the happy matter that brings us of head, or simply because it did not put in the examination the note that we wanted or We waited still and when we lasted more than 24 hours without sleep studying … And not to speak of that famous companion who only remembered our existence when it wanted to take advantage of us some intellectual. What a fun and academic experience is very rewarding.
But as a student and now as a professional I can say that the most arduous stage of university or college days is the realization of that “so named, dreaded and even hated degree thesis.” God, what a trauma I am a thesis! It is at that moment that a thousand and one doubts jump to our weary student brain: What do I do? How do I start? Will I do it alone or with you? I’m looking for an easy topic or better looking for one that impresses my future colleagues ?, Who do I look for as a tutor? … No doubt, questions of this type take over our already exhausted student brain for a good time, and in some cases Continue adding others according to the circumstances that we experienced during the construction and final presentation of our work.
Now, taking into account my double experience as a thesis, and remembering or hearing over and over again that of close friends and not so close, as well as those who have not yet overcome this almost deadly leap for some, I think of putting them in This post some simple but important data that we must take into account when we touch to realize a Thesis of Degree:
1. Selection of the theme. This step is fundamental when we are tesists. Why? Simply because of the subject we select depends on the possible greenish gray we may have in our immediate future. I explain, if you are looking for a topic that you like very much but from which you get little or no information, I tell you that your work will be more uphill, “do not try to become the wonder student of the next time, do a job that you can Finish on time and with excellent results. ” If, on the other hand, your idea of a thesis is more pleasing to your tutor than to you, the successive days will be a little amusing, always remember that “the idea of the research topic is clearly yours … Do not insist on doing works to impress or satisfy To third parties, “keep in mind that the thesis in an own production, therefore, the most important person to satisfy you are yourself.
- Alone or accompanied? Usually, when we start the “thesis” stage, finding a study partner is very usual. In this regard I can tell you that to do the work of degree in pair or trio, according to the university in which you study, depends exclusively on you. It is important that you remember that to do the thesis with another person is to assume an academic marriage. Yes, do not be surprised, when I say that “marriage”, because I mean that all parties must have as much, equal or much more patience and tolerance as any couple in the romance. So the selection of your future partner should be done with a “clinical eye”, do not try to improvise on this point, on the contrary, if you decide to work as a group become a kind of “fortune teller of the future” taking into account the academic background Of your partner. The reasons, because they are very simple, should try to match in most of the criteria of writing and interpretation of the investigation. All members, whether two or three, must assume and respond with full and absolute responsibility to the workload that corresponds to them. In this stage, it is preferable to clearly establish the rules of the game from the beginning, remember that in the critical moments last minute excuses, infallible lack of time, character shocks and ideas, as well as family unforeseen are very common , Which results in the balance of work load tilted to a single side. For these reasons, it is really important that you visualize yourself in your future days walking hand in hand with your acadian partner, or simply with a cross that all you do is annoy you, or at best, your only function is to do ” Bulto “, because the really valuable contributions to the research by them, is really null.3. Delimitation of the investigation. The fact that you do a job shorter than the one of your companions, does not imply that it is of inferior quality. Think about how much time you have available and how much time you have to deliver the final version. The idea of a thesis is to reflect your knowledge of a particular area, in addition to those acquired during the entire career, and not to become the “new superhero of your university.” Be realistic, do a job that you can finish on time, and not one that will tear your hair for as long as it can be.
4. The tutor. Although paradoxical this point is crucial to the moment of doing our degree thesis. Finding a good tutor is not an easy task. Make sure your teacher is a “hero”, not a “tyrant”. Tutor is the one who knows about your work, the one who guides you, the one who answers your doubts, the one who is shoulder to shoulder with you, is the teacher with whom you feel confident of your knowledge, the one that helps you to get ahead with your work. That we call “Tyrant Tutor” is that everything you do seems wonderful, yes even if you do not believe it, these types of tutors always tell you beautiful things of your thesis, for reasons like these: do not understand anything you are doing , Do not want to fall ashamed before you to admit their ignorance about the matter, they swear that your research is perfect, even if it really is a disaster. Another very special reason, though not in all cases, is that these “tyrants” want to show the world that they are more professional than the rest of their colleagues, which is sometimes not true, while you, unsuspecting, end up Paying the consequences of such professional aberration. “Find yourself a tutor, not a tyrant.”
- Asking of other investigations. You already have the subject planned, you found a good tutor, and now what? … simple, you start the review of other theses of degree, works of promotion, doctoral, unpublished or published research that relate to your work. Why do this ?, simple, when we are going to carry out our thesis we must be sure that the selected topic, as well as its focus, has not been the subject of study by a previous researcher. In this case it is good to consult the theses of other universities, virtual libraries, research centers, electronic journals or any information center that clarifies your panorama.6. Collection of material related to your thesis. It is important that you complete a sufficiently broad database of research-related topics. Do not discriminate anything, texts, magazines, interviews, photographs, photocopies, audiovisual or journalistic documents, in short, any material related to your topic of study can be very useful throughout your thesis. Of course, classify this database by topics, “do not make your support material an academic salad.” Remember that this material not only serves to build the theoretical basis, but also helps to contrast the theories and arguments needed at the time of writing from the first to the last chapter of your thesis. Even if you think you have material to give away or that you have something left, you do not throw anything, because even if you are swimming in papers or your PC is saturated with information, at some point the data that you think is less useful, they are the ones that get you out of Trouble
7. The sources consulted. As the research takes shape, the references of other authors begin to appear in the work. In an initial way, these references are placed in a simple way: surname and year. But when you get to your final version, it turns out and happens that a number of important data of these are not listed in your reference list. Grave error !, which is solved in a simple way: from the beginning take a booklet or notebook that will become your Bible from sources consulted. I explain, as the author uses it, you reflect it, not only with his short name (surname, year) as a reference, also his full name. It also reflects other necessary data: editorial, year of publication, edition number, indicates whether the information is a magazine, book, newspaper, legal instrument or thesis of degree, full name of the author, stands out if it is a translation of the original text and The author’s name, the exact address of the document, the date of consultation, the title, whether or not it belongs to a compiled series, to an electronic journal, if it is a published work or unpublished. If by chance you use a living source, include the position, date of the interview, and if your guardian considers necessary the place and format in which it was performed.
- Writing. It is important that the research work is understood by all, the ideas set forth in your thesis can not be understood exclusively by the thesis and the tutor. Necessarily, all the ideas that there plasmes should be precise, clear and with good syntax, grammar and ample language. Do not admit inaccuracies in the writing, do not think that because the fact that you and the tutor you know what you want to say in the text, the rest of the readers also know. Well I tell you that it is not so, the writing of a degree thesis, in addition to being argued, must be well clarified and detailed, ie free of particular interpretations by future readers.9. Corrections. Each time you submit a draft of the different chapters of your thesis, you will surely be returned super grated. Quiet! That happens to us all, because the idea of the tutor is to do a quality job, and that requires thousands and thousands of corrections, deletions and typical observations. Remember that the thesis is a shared responsibility: tesist-tutor, so that every correction far from angry, you must celebrate it. It is important that you keep each draft that you consign, because in the future you can be very useful.
10. Structure. It depends on the type of research you are doing. It is very useful to perform with your tutor an outline of the basic points that will be part of the work. After that, simply concentrate on filling each of these points in a consistent way. If necessary, include others that clarify those who precede them.
11. Support for research. Be sure to create an electronic and physical backup of the progress of your work and your database. Create backups in different formats: CD, Pen Drive, Email … is more if you want to become a maniac of the backups, quiet, that although many think that you are an exaggerated, time and the inevitable failures of your PC, as well as The typical crises of these moments will thank you.
12. Put deadlines. Try to move forward under a scheme of priorities. Do not waste time on unnecessary details. Work as fast as you can, this does not mean that you do it in a crazy way, but with a critical sense. Make sure that the work plan you design is under the supervision of your tutor and your advisors if you have them, but also “COMPLY”. They, like you, need to work and inspect your work in an orderly manner.
- Enjoy your thesis. I know that doing a degree thesis is a hard task. But it is important that you enjoy every step, every moment, every activity you perform in your construction process, try not to overwhelm yourself with the typical traumas of the thesis, it is difficult, but very helpful when we enter the most dramatic moments Of this stage.14. The success of the thesis. It involves hard work, and not at the last minute, it means working hard from beginning to end. Remember something important: although there are people much more prepared than you in the area that you decided to address, there is no one who can disqualify your work. You are the only one who is aware of every detail, every idea, data, contribution, argument or contrast of theories … third-party observations are allowed, but disqualifications NEVER!